Monday, June 27, 2011

Sweet + Painful Moments

Watching old school YouTube cartoons on dad's cell.  Love watching these precious little cuddle moments.  Definitely makes up for the rough ones, of which we have plenty.

Ivory's favorite question these days: "Why?" ...a million times over.  Cute.  Most of the time.  Grateful for her curiosity.  Trying to remember it's a good thing and patiently answer as many whys as I can so she can learn lots and lots.  Also trying to teach her no whys when instructions are given, just obedient response of "yes sir, yes ma'am."  ...definitely a work in progress.

Tonight we worked on "What is obedience?"  "All the way, right away, with a happy heart!"  She actually thought it was fun when we added hand motions.  Now we're working on more thoroughly acting this out for every instruction given.  It's definitely a work in progress.

Life has definitely been an adjustment since coming home.  I was hoping to come home somewhat rested (had to be realistic...we were at youth camp!) so I could spend lots of quality time with my kiddos when I arrived home.  Well, I couldn't sleep well at camp (strange place, no husband, excessively damp room...figured out our de-humidifer was full on the last night of camp--that's why my sheets are wet!).  Tried resting some on the bus ride...did I mention we had twenty teens on our bus?  Then, about halfway through the trip I experienced the most extreme back and lower stomach pain I've ever experienced outside of labor.  Minus the contractions it was extremely reminiscent of labor.  I tried my best to mask my pain for the sake of the teens and my poor husband driving the bus.  Thankfully, after a few hours and some massaging from my sweet husband it let up enough for me to fall asleep in the back row of the bus while the kids ate at Cracker Barrel and to survive the last two hours of the trip home.

I assumed it was pregnancy combined with exhaustion and stress. 

Thank goodness my parents decided to extend their stay another day after we arrived home and so between them and Jason I was able to rest most of Saturday.  I thought I was well enough to let my parents head home, to resume my household duties and get in some quality time with my kiddos.  Well, Sunday morning the pain was back full force and stronger.  I nearly fell over from the pain and felt like I would vomit if I didn't lay down.  Nice timing.  Jason has music practice, teaches Sunday school, and leads music.  There is no nursery for Micah.  I was laying in bed strategizing how I'd make it with the kids until after church.  To say my husband is super dad would be an understatement.  He definitely took the kids with him to music practice, took Micah with him to Sunday School while he taught and found some girls (thanks, girls!) to care for Micah during church while he led worship.  Then, he took the kids to MikeMike's for lunch, brought them back in time for naps, and found someone to watch them when they woke so we could both rest.  He is definitely amazing. And so are the people who helped him make that happen.

Okay, now that this has become an extra long story and brag-fest on Jason...I'll try to wrap up the story. 

Basically, the pain was enough to wake me up in the middle of the night and lay me up for a few days.  After a visit to my chiropractor (which was wonderful!) and a visit to the OB we discover my body has been working on some kidney stones this weekend.  Whew!  It wasn't in my head, baby is safe, and I don't have to be scared anymore!  On some antibiotics for my sinus infection (did I mention I've been battling my sinuses for 3 weeks?) , which should also help my bladder, drinking lots of water and trying to rest as much as possible.  Which includes avoiding cooking.  Definitely picked up dinner complete with throw-away dishes to avoid cooking + clean up.  Mom, I miss you...and yes, for more then your cooking.

While life has been a little challenging and extremely painful, God is so good.  I'm so grateful this happened at the end of camp and not the beginning.  I'm grateful for my chiropractor giving my back relief and getting quick answers and meds from my doctor.  I'm grateful that my pastor's family is back in town and has been amazing about immediately stepping in and serving us in this time.  I'm grateful for my precious, servant-hearted, exhausted, thoughtful husband (did I mention he took care of the kids all weekend after an exhausting week of camp and a rib out of place that hurt whenever he'd pick them up or breathed deeply?).  I'm grateful for God's hand of protection on me and the precious little boy growing inside me.  I pray he grows into a strong warrior for God's army.

No comments: