Monday, September 6, 2010

Carter's Aviation Room

Remember this?


Okay, so probably not. I posted about this like, oh 5 months or so ago?  Well, it became the following for my adorable nephew's new toddler vintage-airplane inspired room.





I made 5 slipcovers & 3 standard pillows (made from old t-shirts). Debi wants 3 throw pillows on the bed at one time, so the two extra allow for switch-ups. I made them as slip covers for easy washing--important with all children and for dust/allergy issues.

I also tried my hand at making my first bed skirt using this free tutorial. I don't have a regular twin bed to stage it on, but it's just a simple, khaki pleated bedskirt made from the khaki fabric Debi purchased and an old bed sheet I found in my linen closet.

And a valance for the window. I just made up my own pattern from the measurements given to me.

So excited to see Carter's room come together in my sister's blog post. I made the pillows & valance last spring, so it's good to see them in their new found home.  My sister is such an incredibly talented decorator.  We make a great team--she dreams it, I sew it!

1 comment:

Darla said...

Hi Lee Ann!! Baby wipes - YES. I have tried that method. Cons first.
It is exceedingly hard to cut a roll of paper towels in half. (I do not have an electric knife). It's only a little hard to get the center out without unraveling too much. It was also kinda hard to find a round container the size of half a paper towel roll, but alas, I did. The wipes pull out easily...but don't pull OFF, in my experience, with only one hand. It's a two handed deal.

PROS - a little quicker to make, if you have an electric knife. If not, seriously, don't bother.

Aside from the difficulty in cutting it, I really just like a reach in-only-need-one-hand system for retrieving my wipes, so I take the longer route and tear them each apart and fold them like I explained in my posts. Might not be for everyone, but it works for me. I watch my "trash" tv (Kate Plus 8, etc) while I do it, so I get some enjoyment of the whole thing, and have an excuse to indulge in such frivolity. Once you get your groove, it takes about 20 min to do (tear, cut, fold) one double roll, so it's not bad