Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving with family/friends! We were blessed with a wonderful day, even if we did miss our Eby family this year. I was too busy visiting and cooking to snap any pictures, but as soon as my sister Sherri or Aunt Nancy sends pictures I'll post them! Each year we divy up cooking responsibilities so no one person is overwhelmed with cooking the entire meal--which is so wonderful! We actually get to enjoy being with each other free from stress. My responsiblities this year was rolls & mashed potatoes (as usual) and added to this list dressing & gravy--which I've never made before. I decided to go with my mother-in-laws recipe since her dressing is the only kind I've ever eaten and liked. It actually went really well! I thought it tasted great and everyone agreed! The gravy didn't turn out super flavorful and I had to cheat by adding quite a bit of cornstarch to thicken it, but it wasn't bad for my first experience. I feel rather accomplished! Next year I should probably try making a turkey so I'll know how, but it's really okay with me if I never do. Sherri made several delicious dishes and did an amazing job washing dishes all morning so there wasn't too much of a mess after dinner, though of course she cleaned up that, too! I managed not to get sick this morning (hallelujah!) and fought my nasuea valiantly to complete my responsibilities. For those interested (namely Debi) the menu included the following delish dishes:
  • Assortment of appetizers
  • Smoked turkey breasts & gravy
  • Dressing
  • Glazed ham
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Sweet potato casserole
  • Baked beans
  • Corn
  • Cranberries
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Jello mold
  • Rolls
  • Pumpkin pie & whip cream
  • Peach cobbler & vanilla ice cream
  • Sweet tea, pepsi, sparkling cider

I love Thanksgiving with my family! And tomorrow we get to do it all over again with my husband's family! Yay! I'm making maccaroni & cheese for this meal. Hope your day was as wonderful & blessed as ours!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Way to go on the stuffing and gravy! I know, I think next year I am going to make a turkey just to try it! I always make the mashed potatoes too!

Glad you had a happy thanksgiving!