Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ivory Eating Like A Big Girl...Sorta

Ivory went for her 4 month check up yesterday. She weighs 14lbs. 13.5 oz., is 25.5" long (4" more since birth) & her head is 41.5 cm. around. She is in the 97th percentile for height (apparently she's quite tall, ironic, I know) and the 25th for weight (she's rather thin). The doctor said she's not too skinny, just that most babies as tall as her are thicker. She said actually if she weighed much more she'd be a little too chunky, so she's perfect (of course we already know that...). The doctor said we had a little model on our hands. Her head is in the 50th percentile range, basically meaning very average. The doctor remarked once more on how very calm she is, as she does each visit. She is always extremely impressed with our little Ivory's wonderful behavior, as are the nurses. Boy does she know how to show off!

She gave the go ahead for solid foods. Apparently feeding solids at this age isn't so much for the calories but the muscle development. Sucking is rather easy for her right now so she needs to strengthen her muscles by chewing, a completly new exercise for the mouth and face. Learn something new every day!

Her strength, development, and size are all right on track. I feel so overwhelmed sometimes that God has blessed us with such a precious, healthy, beautiful little girl. Some people wait for years and never receive a child or they have a very sick child. Here we are with such a beautiful child. My heart is so full sometimes when I look at her that I feel like it will burst. Granted, this usually happens when she's sleeping... naw, it also happens when I see her daddy playing with her and she breaks out in a huge grin that grows into a giggle. I feel blessed beyond compare to have such a beautiful family--amazing husband who makes a great father & our wonderful daughter. Nothing is quite as entertaining as watching Jason & Ivory together. Sure, there are times I feel so tied down, but then she smiles and I'm completely melted. Like the other day when I was feeding her and she just stopped, looked up at me, and began touching my face with her sweet little hand. She did this for several minutes as if she wanted to make a memory of my face. Probably the sweetest moment we've shared, so far. The best part is it only gets better as she grows! Sure, I love the earlier months, but she only grows more fun! I know some things will be harder for sure, but I'm determined to live in the present and enjoy each moment rather then wish for yesterday or tomorrow.

Okay back to food. So feeding Ivory solids sounded like such fun, and it is, sorta. I forgot how gross it is to watch a baby eat! Jason fed her while I held her hands down. Even with the two of us she still had it all over her mouth area. Gross, yet so very adorable at the same time. I can only imagine when she starts feeding herself! She's already trying... But, she really did so great! At first she was crying because we weren't going fast enough. She anxiously awaited each bite until the very end when she showed no interest to let us know she was finished. What a big girl, Ivory!

After she's had about a week to adjust to rice cereal we'll move to peas or green beans. I read this health article really encouraing you to start with the green vegetables, then move to the yellows (carrots, squash, etc.) and then fruit. That way your child doesn't grow so accustomed to sweet foods that s/he won't take the other not-so-sweet veggies. We really want to avoid sugar for the first year and then very limited beyond that. I think it's going to be more challenging for Mom & Dad then Ivory as we have to se the example. I'll let you know how it goes...

She loves it!


Jason teaching Ivory sign languge (ASL) for eat. Tap the chin twice with your hand formed just like his.



4 comments:

JacTpcMec said...

ahh yes cereal. Little M didn't like it at all at the first, but then we started using juice to mix it, and that definitely does the trick. We read the same to start with vegetables, but M still likes certain vegetable, like carrots and sweet potatoes better, but now she pretty much eats everything except the meats ,but I can't imagine those being overly tasty and I haven't the courage to try them myself.

Sarah M. said...

....just don't feed her too many carrots and sweet potatoes...or she'll start turning Orange like Hallie! ;-) LOVE YOU!

Arianna said...

Aw,what a champ! :)

Haha, rice cereal is the clean part. Wait until carrots!! Zach ate everything we gave him with gusto except green beans. He absolutely would not eat beans.
Just some advice; don't even try the baby jar meats. They smell like catfood and Zach turned all the way around in his highchair to avoid them. You can puree your own meat and it's so much better.

Good luck! It's such a joy.

Lee Ann said...

Thanks for all the advice you experienced Moms & Aunties! I do want to try and puree whatever I can...we'll see how my noble ambitions in this actually pan out...I'm definitely no Martha Stewart when it comes to cooking (Sarah can attest to this!).